[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: Lady Pigs

Conklin Kacee Kacee.Conklin at HCAHealthcare.com
Tue Dec 5 16:36:11 EST 2006

Elizabeth ~

When I got my first pair of guinea pigs, a male and female, I decided
upon doing some research that having babies was probably not a good idea
and planned on taking the "male" to be neutered.  I had assumed the
brown agouti piggy we called Kaz was the male because Kaz was always
mounting Kack.  I kept Kaz separated and without food over night but
just in case, took Kack with me to the vet's.  He picked up Kack and
said, "oh yes, he's a male see here" attempting to show me the "proof"
of his maleness.  I told him I thought that the other one was the male
because it kept mounting Kack.  He said no that that is also their way
of exerting dominance.  Kaz was also a bit larger than Kack which was
another factor in my assuming she was a he.  Kaz would always continue
to exert her dominance over Kack but when I introduced Kodee and Korkee
to the herd, Kack (though smaller) would have none of it.  My little
Kack was the big dog in this herd but he would only allow Kaz to try to
mount him.  But when he wanted a certain spot in the cage, everyone
moved out of the way!

Sounds like your lady piggy wants to be the boss of someone and has
picked your littlest one to exert her dominance over.   Just the same, I
would keep an eye on them to be sure she doesn't get too rough with her.

To all who have had piggies go to the bridge or are having to deal with
health issues, my heart goes out to each and everyone of you.

Kacee, slave to the Munchee Ten