[Gpdd] HEALTH - To Lisa and about spaying

Janelle Smith janelle300 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 8 20:31:30 EST 2006

Hi Lisa,

I just had my 4 1/2 year old, Pepper, spayed last Wed. and I have a few
tips.  A gp usually will not eat if they're in pain.

My Vet has Pepper on 0.36 ml, twice daily, of Metacam.  I actually called
and checked that it was the right dose.  It seemed like a huge amount.  She
is to be on it for 5-7 days, or longer, if needed.  She has had some bloody
discharge but she's not bleeding like before the spay.  She's also on
molasses flavored Orbax.

Also, keep Keely warm.  Pepper was shivering yesterday.  I don't know if it
was from cold or pain.  So I gave the Metacam a couple hours early and put
her in a 75 degree F. room.  I have a half bath and I turned up the heat.
She also said I could use a heat lamp or just put her under a regular lamp
for more warmth.  The important thing is to give her anything she wants to
eat.....all her favorite foods.  I've heard that gp's love canned pumpkin.
You could mix that into the Critical Care, too.  Use the kind without added
sugar.  Don't use the pumpkin pie filling.

Can you maybe get a second opinion from a different Vet?  Is your Vet a
Rodentologist?

Also, I would write to several people on the DSN.  A few months ago, I wrote
to someone here in the U.S. and never received an answer.  I'm not going to
name names.  Maybe that person just over looked it.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.  Pepper certainly knows what
Keely is going through right now!

Warm wheeks,

Janelle

friends module.