[Gpdd] (Health) Re: Spaying

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 9 15:47:02 EST 2006

Lisa,
  I have never had any of my females spayed, but one did have bladder surgery and she acted just like your poor piggy did. She has always been a picky eater, so that didn't help either. My vet told me that the pain meds (Metacam) sometimes interfere with their appetite because it can give them an upset tummy--like aspirin does for humans. He told me to make sure she was fed before I gave her the Metacam and that would help. It did. (Of course, I had to force the Critical Care on her at first and then she slowly started eating on her own). My problem with Teddy was that she didn't drink from her water bottle for a week after the surgery--I was terrified that I would lose her but she pulled through okay. One day, she just started drinking like nothing had ever been wrong.

  There is also a medicine they can prescribe that helps stimulate the appetite--sorry, but I can't remember the name. Perhaps you can ask your vet about something like this.

  Hope this helps, and healing wheeks to you and your furbaby!

  Stacy and the Squee Squad