[Gpdd] [GPDD] Health - Get well wishes for Lucky & Tynedale

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 14:17:40 EST 2006

Joy-
  How did the vet decide that Tyndale has the flu?  Just curious.
  I've never heard of this in a piggie before (doesn't mean he's
  wrong, I just haven't heard of it).  But I have heard of
  pnuemonia and Upper Respiratory Infections, etc.  Plus the
  gastro-intestinal problems. All can be very serious if not under
  control quickly, of course.
  And one big part of the problem is when they don't feel like
  eating, since they must keep food going through their systems.
  Others can advise better than I, but I would think a drip would
  be a last resort situation. It's generally better not to have to
  stick them if you can avoid it.  There are a number of ways to
  get food into them, often discussed here. Can you get some
  Critical Care?  You can soften pellets, put carrots, etc, into
  a blender, feed baby food, canned pumpkin. Often they will
  munch on some favorite treat, like romaine or green pepper or
  dandelion greens when they won't touch their regular food.
  But it's important to keep trying all the time.  What kind of
  antibiotics is he on?  Remember that he will need some form
  of pro-biotic while on the medicine to keep his system in
  balance.  I like the acidophillis powder, but you can feed a
  bit of yogurt if he'll accept it.
  Tell us more about what he's on and what you've been trying
  to feed him, so we'll have a better idea what else to try.
  And be sure to talk to him and encourage him all the time,
  that is very important, too.
  We will keep you both in our prayers.

  Merle- We are so sorry to hear your dear Lucky is feeling poorly.
  It just doesn't seem fair that these little guys have to endure
  so much, does it?  And then to have to cut back some of their
  favorite foods, too!  I don't know about the shilingtong, but the
  Okie Piggies will sometimes lick things off of a spoon. You
  can also dip the tip of the syringe in something they like, or
  feed them other tasty things from it.  I like to use a medicine
  dropper for most things, it's easier for me to handle. Right now
  we have 3 girls getting medicine, and I will tell them what I'm
  giving them - medicine, juice, water, etc. And while they may
  not like the medicine, they don't resist when I tell them it's
  juice or water. Plus they know they're going to get a treat
  when they're through.  One funny thing I've noticed, and wondered
  if anyone else has had this experience. I always have a "napkin"
  on hand to wipe their mouth, etc. But they always resist this,
  CindyRella will even try to push it away with her foot!  (they
  remind me of a small child not wanting his nose wiped!) And
  then if I leave said 'napkin' unattended for a moment while
  getting another dropperful ready, they are likely to start
  nibbling on it!  Especially little Lollie Pig - she seems to think
  of it as dessert!
  We will certainly keep your little Luckmeister in our prayers.
  Let us know how he's doing.

  Healing wheeks,
  Susi & the Okie Piggies