[Gpdd] FW: HEALTH [Update on Tyndale]

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 11 15:48:38 EST 2006

Dear Joylania and Tyndale

Keep going.  I was due to pick my pigs up from Cambridge Cavy Trust and
because I have a throat infection, they won't let me.  Guinea pigs can pick
up our coughs and colds, and we get over them, so so will Tyndale.  You may
want to grab hold of a copy of Piggy Potions by Peter Gurney via Amazon (who
can send quickly), or a pet store.  I hope what's below will help Tyndale
and getting food inside him, Joylania.  Don't give up.  Good luck.  Carole

Peter Gurney says:-

"If a gp goes off its food when there are no detectable symtoms of ilnness,
then first examine the teeth. If the lower incisors appear over-long and the
ends of the top ones are beginning to curve inwards, there is likely to be a
problem with the molars, further in the mouth.  Also, if they impinge at an
angle instead of being level when looked at face on, then there is trouble
inside.  Unless you know of someone who can do dental work WITHOUT
anaestheic, contact the Cambridge Cavy Trust (tel: 07721 026401).

"If teeth are all in good shape then it is either an indication of an
impending illness or what I have come to regard as a kind of 'hiccup' in the
digestive system.  I call it a hiccup because I have not the slightest idea
what causes it.  The droppings may be smaller or change colour but are still
firm, indicating it's not diarrhoea.  What I do know is that there are a
couple of things that give what I can only describe as a 'kick start' to the
appetite.  These are:-

A. 0.4ml Gentian extract, twice daily, or the same dosage of Swedish
bitters.
B. One Elderberry pill and one Greenleaf pill ground up together.

"A little syringe feeding is always helpful but do not overdo this and make
the gp lazy.  I grind down the animal's dry feed into a powder and add to
this liquidised cucumber, carrot or any other vegetable that the gp likes.
This way, the patient is getting its normal diet in a more digestible form.
Every second day, add a level teaspoon of rehydration salts into the
mixture.  A useful American product is called Critcal Care for Herbivores by
Oxbow Pet Products.  It comes in powder form and you just mix with water.
The gps that I have given it to gobbled it down with great glee and it has
every ingredient that a recovering gp needs to get it back into top form
again.

"When giving any kind of supplementary food, or medicine for that matter,
always keep a close eye on droppings, if there is any sign of loosening, try
an alternative.  Anything recommended in this book has been tried and tested
over quite a few years now, so in general there should be no problems.
Occasionally, however, just as among humans, an individual gp will be unable
to tolerate a certain medicine or food which goes down perfectly well with
the majority.  Be aware of this and monitor accordingly."