[Gpdd] HEALTH: Update on Hamish and his paralysis

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 14 04:08:44 EST 2006

Dear Julie

I have found the following two links for you about strokes.  I hope this may
be of help and good luck with Hamish.  Carole

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/strokes.htm

STROKES
As it is in the human population, it is the female of the species which is
more likely to suffer from these, though males can be prone to them as well.
The symptoms are usually paralysis down one side with the head at an acute
angle to the body. There will be Nystygmus of the eyes, a rapid jerky
movement of the eyes. Sometimes the animal will be in a high state of shock
and will react in terror to any move towards it. It should be put in a hay
lined box and put somewhere quiet for a few hours. The general rule is that
if it survives for another few hours without having another stroke, it will
live. It should be put on a quarter of a tablet of aspirin for about a week
after the stroke to thin down the blood.
Guinea pigs that have suffered strokes are a very pathetic sight for the
first few days afterwards for they tend to lean against the side of their
pens for support. Some manage to stagger about and get to their food and
water but others need syringe feeding with both food and water for a while.
The good news is that most get ninety percent of their motor motion back in
that bad side. The heads do rarely realign completely but they usually
return to the stage where there is a just a slight tilt, which doesn¹t seem
to bother them at all. Though a guinea pig that has suffered a stroke has
less life expectancy, it seldom has another stroke.