[Gpdd] HEALTH (re Mishy's bladder stones)

dannyto fai at dannyandpip.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 15 08:48:35 EST 2006

Carole and Leah and Joan

Thanks for your messages.  You are all so sweet and helpful.

I have spoken to Vedra and she has fixed me up with a recommended vet who will see him next Thursday and if he does need the operation, can do it straight away.

He seems OK at the moment, happy little guy running around and wuffling at food.  I am a bit worried though, 'cos I just weighed him on my kitchen scales and he was only 11b 11oz, compared to Harry my other GPs 2lb 9oz.   Should I try to feed him up before Thursday.  Is there time?  If so, what could I give him?  At the moment I am giving him all the hay and grass he will eat.  He seems keen so don't know why is skinny.  I suppose its the bladder stone.

I have seen the bladder stone on the pricey x-ray taken by the local vet (the vet I'm leaving).  Could I go and ask them for the copy of this x-ray so new vet doesn't have to repeat this?  I think I should be entitled to it, also maybe repeated x-rays are not very healthy?

Also we live in a hard water area (kettle gets furred up, etc) and Vedra told me this could be contributing towards the bladder stone due to calcium in the water and I should give him bottled  water to drink.  I was looking on the bottled water labels in the supermarket and they all contain calcium AARGH!  So I just bought the one with the lowest ph which was 6.1.  Is this right?

I have committed the sin of putting Gerty guinea pig mix in his bowl.  (Its a mix with lots of bright colours).  Vedra said this was the worst thing, so I have removed it.  But to be honest he almost never touches his bowl, sticking to hay, grass, veg and fruit,  so I don't think that was the cause.  She said I could feed him crushed oats.  Is this the same as the rolled oats you use to make porridge.  Would I need to go to a health food store?

I am very sorry to bombard you with all these questions,  but you seem to have so much experience.  I always thought I was doing good for my GPs giving them loads of veg and fruit, but no!     Could you just tell me which of these items that he has always enjoyed are a definite no-no.:

Carrots, cucumber (he adores cucumber), apples, cabbage, celery.  I have now figured out spinach and lettuce are bad.  Correct?

Thanks so much for all your help.