[Gpdd] HEALTH concern for Buffy

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Dec 17 06:52:48 EST 2006

Dear Debi,

I am so sorry that you are facing the impending loss of your beloved Buffy.
You must have cared for her so well for her to have reached such a great
age.

I lost my Rolo at a similar age earlier this year and towards the end of his
life he ignored previously loved foods and concentrated on just a few. When
my piggies reach this age I just want them to be comfortable so I scoured
the garden for his favourite plants. He would only eat the dried flat peas
from his mix so I would pick them out for him. He also went off hay, which
is a problem as they need the fibre but he developed a liking for wholemeal
bread so he would have some of this each day. He loved melon, which is easy
for an invalid to eat and still ate his carrot, apple and fresh grass. He
passed away with a dandelion leaf in his mouth.

Sometimes I will give elderly piggies some syringe feed, especially if they
have gone off their hay, to get the fibre into them. I have often found that
they will take this when they are having a cuddle but never push them if
they are not interested. I don't want to stress them. They just want to be
left in peace.

As the elderly ones always sleep a lot, I have found that they often pass
away in their sleep. One moment they are there and then they have left. I
hope that this will happen with your Buffy. I always hope that this will
happen to my "oldies", that they will pass away in the warmth and comfort of
their own home, surrounded by their friends and avoid that last trip to the
vets.

If, with Buffy, this should prove necessary, please ask your vet to use the
gas rather than the needle. It only takes a little whiff of the anaesthetic
gas to send them on their last journey and is so much more peaceful for them
and for you.

You will know when Buffy's time has come and when you must make that final
decision for her. I hope that it will be a peaceful passing for her.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.