[Gpdd] health: Buffy

keegsmom at cablelynx.com keegsmom at cablelynx.com
Mon Dec 18 05:07:22 EST 2006

Hi Debi,
I am so sorry to hear that Buffy is ill. For her to have reached 8 years
old is a testament to your love and excellent care.  In the past year I
have had two elderly piggie girls go to the Bridge, so I know what you are
going through. Bryn was the first to go. She was 10 years old and
suffering from arthritis. She did not stop eating--she enjoyed her food
right up to her last day here. But she slowed down so much that she would
lie in her urine and poo. As long as she seemed to feel OK, I would just
make sure she had a soft bed that I changed as often as needed to keep it
clean, and kept the food and water near her. Her food was all she really
wanted to get up for, so she got "breakfast in bed".  If her underside got
damp with urine, sometimes I would let her sit for a few minutes in a
basin of warm water, just deep enough to reach halfway up her sides. This
seemed to relax her, and probably felt good to her stiff joints, and of
course, she wouold get wrapped in a towel and snuggled til she was all
dry.

One morning I saw in her eyes that she was ready to go. The passing was
very peaceful. I had the vet give her gas anesthesia to put her to sleep,
then when she was sound asleep they gave her an injection. If you have to
help Buffy over the Bridge, I would definitely insist on using gas first
so she will have no fear or discomfort of being handled. My vet has a
little clear container attached to the anesthesia machine that they put
small animals in when they are putting them to sleep for surgery. We set
Bryn in it and she lay down very calmly. When the vet turned on the
anesthesia gas, we stayed by Bryn and watched as she got sleepy and went
into a very deep sleep. Then the vet gave the injection. I was so sad to
say goodbye to my little sweetie, but she was so peaceful and relaxed,
that it did make it easier. I could imagine her just falling asleep here
and waking up with all her piggie friends who had gone before, running and
playing and eating all the fresh veggies she wanted.

I am sorry to talk about putting our dear piggies to sleep, but I wanted
you to know that if you have to do that, it can be done without causing
any stress or fear for Buffy.

My other little senior piggie, Patch, had a lung tumor and an enlarged
heart. She got very tired and short of breath when she moved around much,
but she never seemed to be in pain and she still loved a cuddle. With 3
other piggies in her cage, I was afraid she would get pushed away from the
veggies, so I took her out twice a day and fed her all the fresh veggies
she wanted. She got all the treats she wanted--lots of parsley,
blueberries, strawberries--all the goodies that before I would only give
little bits of. Since you know that dear Buffy will leave for the Bridge
soon, I would do the same thing for her--let her have the foods she loves
without worrying about longterm problems they might cause. Fresh veggies
also will keep her hydrated.

Patch continued to lose weight even though she ate well, and she got to
where she moved around less and less, so I had to be careful to keep her
on clean soft bedding. Then I walked in to feed her one day and she was
lethargic and breathing fast. I picked her up and held her and she just
went to sleep and didnt wake up.

So I would just work toward keeping little Buffy comfortable, keeping her
clean, and giving her lots of love.  If she does start refusing food, even
tempting veggies, she is probably in pain, and the kindest thing to do may
be to ease her to the Bridge. She will let you know when its time. I hope
she will go peacefully in her sleep, so you are not faced with this
difficult decision. But if that time comes, remember that you have given
her a wonderful life, and sometimes the last gift of love we can give our
pets is to take away their pain.

Leila and the Five Little Pigs