[Gpdd] Health: Virulent, horrible, URIs

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 10:09:43 EST 2006

I haven't posted in a very, very long time but since I have lost three pigs in the past month, I thought I should pass on some info.

  The first one that I lost was a Himmy that I hadn't even named yet. I had her for a day and then woke up the enxt day and she was dead. Her cagemate Jaeda was healthy for about a week or so after the Himmy died and then developed a serious URI. Thick, green snot, lack of appetite. She was slightly scurvy too, when she came in so we had that to deal with. Well, after three and half weeks on multiple antibiotics, she passed away. I was crushed because I did everything under the sun and we could not make the infection go away.

  Then, one of my oldsters Sonny, he was just over 7, caught it. I couldn't save him either even with two antibiotics on board, vitamin c supplementation, everything possible and he was gone too....

  I just got an email recently from someone who adopted a pair of my girls (over 6 months ago, so no exposure to this recent problem), and one of hers died from a URI that wouldn't get better even with rigorous treatment. Same symptoms, thick horrid snot...

  There is some bad sort of germ floating out there so if you even see a hint of snot, take your pig to the vet for treatment and hopefully your darlings will pull through.

  Take care and be well all during the holidays...
  Lisa and the Wheeks and Squeaks GP Rescue