[Gpdd] HEALTH:Behavior Problems

merle.jaffe at thomson.com merle.jaffe at thomson.com
Mon Dec 18 09:15:32 EST 2006

OK, I need some help.  I need a guinea pig whisperer. As posted earlier
, Lucky has come through a second stone surgery in pretty good shape
(one week ago tomorrow). By last Friday he was chewing on the bars of
his cage and wheeting to me to get out (he free ranges). So on Saturday
I thought I'd let him get out for a bit and watch to see how he was
doing. He seemed fine initially and was really happy to be out of his
cage-- he was moving well and even doing little hops.  Here's the
problem -- he is biting and chewing everything in sight -- walls,
furniture, etc, and only occasionally his toys.  In general, he is not a
chewer which is why this is so unusual. Occasionally he will  gnaw at a
paper towel roll or give a bite to a wooden toy, but his behavior right
now is almost obsessive.  Any thoughts?  He is on an antibiotic and
Metacam.  I'm thinking maybe he is still uncomfortable and this is his
way of "managing" his discomfort , but in all other respects he seems
fine -- he is sleeping in guinea pig recline (not puffed up) , he is
eating pretty well (though a bit mad because I'm trying to switch him
off parsley and dandy greens).  Any thoughts -- at this point I can't
let him out unsupervised which is cramping both our styles!

Merle and crazy Lucky