[Gpdd] [GPDD] Behavior: Piggie Star Search tryouts

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 15:58:56 EST 2006

Occasionally someone has posted about being fortunate enough
  to hear one of their piggies chirping. While this is rare, I have
  been blessed to hear several of our piggies singing over the
  years. I have learned that if I'm very quiet, I may be able to sneak
  up on them and see just who is singing. It's not easy to tell, as
  they all become very still, like little statues. It is apparently a
  very solemn occasion, and only the chirper will have a very
  slight movement of the mouth. This can go on for several minutes,
  and does sound very much like a bird has gotten into the house.
  This usually occurs at 4 am, for some reason.  I remember once,
  over a year ago, being awakened at 4 am by Bonnie, sweetly
  singing to Buster, just on the other side of the pen. Soon after
  she finished, he sang a song to her - it was so sweet!
  Well, last night I heard chirping coming from the Piggie Room,
  and crept in to discover Curly, the new Teddy aunt, was singing.
  I watched, along with all the piggies, while she sang for several
  minutes. Occasionally one of the babies would nudge her, and
  she'd quickly poke him with her nose, but kept singing. ;-)
  A few minutes later, Loxie started up from the other side of the
  room!  Again, all the piggies were like statues, eyes glazed over.
  Could they be channelling piggies from the Bridge? Chirping in
  tongues? (maybe Loxie was translating for Curly).  Well, a few
  minutes after Loxie finished, Curly started up again!  This continued
  for well over 30 minutes, first one, then the other.  Each time I
  would compliment the singer on her excellent voice, her beautiful
  song. What's so odd is the behavior of the entire group - this is
  a bunch of piggies who are usually jumping around, picking on
  each other, snacking, rattling water bottles, watching tv, etc.
  Has anyone else had more than one piggie at a time chirp?
  Waiting for a translation . . .
  Susi & the Okie Piggie Divas