[Gpdd] Bridge: Lacie, another one gone

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 23 22:31:48 EST 2006

This is number 4 in a month... Lacie was one of my "tupperware pigs." They showed up on the doorstep of a dog rescue in the cold in a tupperware container. It was her, her mate Otto and her daughter Tamsyn. When I first got her I thought she was preggers because she was quite pear-shaped, but then she never progressed and I never felt any babies move. So then I treated her for gassiness.

Yesterday she started looking a little bigger and today she was like twice her size! Then I found her on her tummy and I picked her up and she started seizing. She seized off and on for almost 2 hours before she left me. I kept telling her it was ok to go. I have never cried so hard and felt so helpless. The emergency vet didn't do small animals and I couldn't get in touch with my regular vet and I knew she was not going to make the drive to a different emergency vet... Why does this happen when we can't get in touch with the people who can help?? I don't know that she could have been saved, but they could have at least helped her pass over to the bridge. It was torturous to sit and wait. I just told her how much I loved her and I would take care of her baby.

My sister, a vet tech, had come over to wait with me and after she had gone we poked her belly with a needle to find out if she had a belly full of fluid (so from heart disease) or if she was full of air which was our original thought. It was full of fluid. It just came dripping out... She also had fluid come out of her nose and mouth after she died which also indicated heart disease. It doesn't really make me feel any better that it wasn't something that was necessarily intuitively obvious.

Now, I have Tamsyn, her little girl, who is all alone and no one to pair her with.
Not such a great holiday here at the rescue... 4 babies gone to the bridge... The Himmy, Jaeda, Sonny-bunny-bear, and now Lacie. This sucks so bad.

I hope everyone else's holiday goes better than mine.
Lisa and the melancholy gang at Wheeks and Squeaks