[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Stone piggy needs help

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Sun Dec 24 15:58:58 EST 2006

Pat

The important thing is that Guinevere can still pee; if it gets to the stage
where she can't, it is a real emergency and needs urgent treatment.  It is
easier to deal with stones in girl piggies rather than boys because the
relative length of the urethra.  It may be possible for the stone to be
manipulated out under anaesthetic rather than removed by surgery, depending
where the stone is located.  Without knowing what the stone is, I would
suggest you keep Guinevere off parsley, spinach and kale, as these are high
in oxalates which can cause stones.  Also, you need to watch the calcium to
phosphorus ratio; too much calcium will predispose towads stones, but too
little will cause the bones to demineralise and become weak.  You might
want to syringe her some extra fluids, and a little extra vitamin C
might help.

I am sure my vet would be happy to discuss with your vet by email (we are in
the UK), but he won't be back until Wednesday (they operate an emergency
service over Christmas... I was down there myself this morning).  I need to
visit my vet again on Wednesday morning, so if you want to give me your
vet's email I can then pass it on to my vet.  (If you reply directly to me
you'll get an auto-reply to say I'm out of the office, but I will check my
email).

Kay