[Gpdd] [care]six guinea pigs i need help =)

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Dec 29 05:28:52 EST 2006

Hi Rachel,

Well done for giving those extra piggies a home! I started with 2 piggies
when I was at school ( many years ago ) and  had 36 at one time ( currently
26 ). They all live in my house without any unpleasant smell. I have pens,
not cages, and am probably not the best person to answer your questions but
here goes. I have heavy gauge plastic sheeting on the floor, covered with a
thick layer of newspaper. The pens stand on top of that and then another
thick layer of newspaper is placed on top. Every morning the top newspapers
are rolled up with the used hay and disposed of. The underneath papers
remain dry for weeks if not months. The fresh paper is placed on the top
again. It takes me about an hour each morning to clean out every pen. There
is no other cleaning with this method other than replacing the chewed boxes
that I use for hidey-holes.

If you have the kind of cage that has a plastic base ( like a bird cage ) I
would think that it could be washed  with washing up liquid and then rinsed
and dried thoroughly. The C&C type cages could probably be cleaned with a
damp cloth.

Hopefully someone in the US will be able to offer tips on supplies as the
products here in England are different. Most slaves probably have cages not
pens and maybe they will have more advice.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.