[Gpdd] Care- Questions about Vitamin C

twigg1 at comcast.net twigg1 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 1 20:37:24 EST 2006

Hi, Amber.

It's imperative that your gps get a vitamin
C supplement! The drops one puts in
water are ineffective. Gps need 50mgs
of vitamin C per day.
Here's the best way to do it,
according to my vet. Get Oxbow 50mg
tablets (GTN-50C, 200 50mg tablets,
about $16.00 for a 200-day supply).
What I do is this--
I use a small ceramic feed bowl to
grind up one tablet in about 1 1/2 tsps
of water. I then use an eye-dropper
to squirt it onto 3 leaves of Romaine
lettuce, and spread it around with my
(just washed) fingers. My little girl,
Tanoshii, then turns into an attack
gp and devours her breakfast.
I cannot stress the importance of
vit. C supplement enough. By the way,
don't bother trying to substitute human
vit.C from the drug store; they contain
additives whose effect on gps is not
known, and besides, the dosage is usually
10 times too high. I get my supply right at
my vet (Niles Animal Hosp., Niles, Ill.),
but in any event, you should be able to
order them on-line from Oxbow.
Good luck, and good eating to your gps!
Ty.