[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Pig not eating

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Thu Feb 2 12:33:58 EST 2006

Christina

How old is your new piggy?  He really needs to be eating; even very young
piggies can eat salad, but I wonder whether he has been separated from his
mother too young?  You might like to offer him Cavy Performance from
Oxbow, this is meant for young piggies, nursing mums and elderly piggies.
It is full of extra stuff that makes it a bit too fattening for adult
piggies, but might just give him the extra that he needs.  You could
dissolve some in warm water and syringe it to him to start him off.  I'd
weigh him every day...if he starts to lose weight, get him to see the vet.
If he's any less than 3 ounces (about 80-90 grams) I'd take him to the vet
anyway; he'd be very young (less than 4-6 weeks) to be this weight.

Maybe give him some private area where he doesn't feel worried by the
other piggies until he's got used to his new home.  Are the other piggies
bigger or older than he is, perhaps?

Best wishes little piggy,

Kay