[Gpdd] [Health] Lumps

Evelyn Baker ebak at ca.inter.net
Mon Feb 6 00:54:32 EST 2006

It's been a long time since I've had to write about health problems
for my own guinea pig. I found a lump on my guinea pigs's mammary
area. It was flat on Saturday when I took her to the vet to have it
checked out. Today, a day later it has changed shape and his
roundish. I suspect it might be a cyst of some kind. I was hoping it
would be a fatty deposit that I could ignore.

She is five and a half, and I'm concerned for her as surgery may be
an option and my experience in the past with it hasn't been very
positive. In this case I may not have a choice. She is very chipper
and has recently recovered from a bladder infection and gone from 940
to 1020 grams in ten days.

I was wondering what other people's experience were with lumps of
this type. I have had four other pigs with lumps. I've posted about
these over the years. The first one I left and she lived another
three and a half years till past five. The other three had surgery.
Two had fatty lumps but died young a year or two after from cancer.
The other one turned out to have a cyst which had to be removed but
was also having bladder or kidney problems and died a few months later.

,