[Gpdd] [health] [misc] Worldwide Pigsitters website: needs new host

karen mims karenmims at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 12:41:58 EST 2006

Hi everyone and everypiggy,

Back in 1999, there was a discussion on the GPDD about how hard it was to
find people we trusted to take care of our piggies while we were out of
town, and how great it would be if there was an easy way to find other
GPDDers nearby to pigsit, since we all know that other GPDDers would take as
good care of our piggies as we do at home.

http://www.psych.upenn.edu/~mims/PIGSITTERS/pigsitters.html ) , a
website/database where piggy owners can go to find other piggy people in
their area to look after their piggies while they're away.  During the last
6 years (!), many owners have posted their information to the site, and
there are now pigsitters in most US states and many countries around the
world!

Now, as I'm leaving my current job, I'm about to find myself without space
on a server, and nowhere to store the Worldwide Pigsitter files.  I hope
that one of you lovely GPDDers will be willing to host the files on your
server and maintain the website from now on.  What you will need is:
-some space on a server for the files and couple of graphics--the files are
all small, so the space requirements are minimal.
-knowledge of html and some web text editor (I use Emacs, a UNIX utility.
I'm sure others are available).  someone with more webdesign and programming
knowledge than me may be able to make the site more automatic and prettier,
but the basics just require html.
-willingness to enter new Pigsitter info into the database every so often.
This is not a big job--I get 6-12 new Pigsitters/year.

If you are interested in becoming the new host of Worldwide Pigsitters,
please email me at this address, and I will send you the files.

Thanks,
Karen