[Gpdd] [Health] Baytril and Diarrhea

JoAnn Thompson joann_m_t at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 13:46:04 EST 2006

Any time a piggie is on an antibiotic, 1 - 2 hours after administering the antibiotic, the guinea needs to receive acidophilus to restore the good gut flora.  This is critical to the guinea.

  Personally, based on everything that I've been told, guinea pigs are not designed to digest dairy products.  Therefore, rather than using yogurt I have always been told to use human acidophilus capsules.  Open the capsule up and mix with something your piggie likes or some warm water.  The powder is tasteless.  DO NOT give at the same time as the antibiotic.  Wait at the very minimum of one hour - two preferably.  Continue to give acidophilus for one week after the AB.  Note: some forms of acidophilus need to be kept refrigerated.