[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Hair loss on both side of spinal column

Ann Ramus ann at sciencetechnologyconsultants.com
Sat Feb 11 16:48:31 EST 2006

I need some advice about one of my silver agouti teddy guinea pigs. She
is 5 years old. She has never been bred. In January she started loosing
hair on both sides of her spinal column about mid trunk. I thought she
might have a fungal infection from her hay bedding since the skin at the
bases of her hair was dry and flaky. I started giving her weekly baths
with Nizoral shampoo, which contains ketaconazole 1%. It is used to
treat dandruff. I would also treat the area with povidone iodine
solution, which is a topical antiseptic microbicide. The flakiness went
away but she kept on loosing hair until she went bald on both sides of
her spinal column. These bald spots have kept on growing to the point
that now they are 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. The bald skin does not
bother her, she does not scratch it. To protect her delicate skin
especially since it is winter here I have been putting on the bald areas
a cream called Baza antifungal moisture barrier cream. It contains 2%
miconazole nitrate. I am just using this to keep here skin protected.
Should I use a different type of cream to keep her bald area protected
like the type of cream you put on baby bottoms? She does not show any
signs of fungus or mites She is routinely treated orally with Panacur
and Ivermectin. She is eating, drinking and defecating and urinating
just fine. She is 900g and has maintained that weight for 2 years. She
is very active. What am I doing wrong? Could she have a hormonal
imbalance that is causing the hair loss?

All comments are welcome.

Thank you, Ann and the 13 rescued Piggys of Piggyville Tampa Florida

ann at hintlink.com