[Gpdd] Care-Colorings in GP food

DEB GANLEY debg43 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 17 22:44:41 EST 2006

I'm lucky enough to live in Oxbow Hay-Cavy Cuisine US territory, & my girls have been on that dull bland-looking stuff since the day we brought Potter & Molly home from rescue--that's why they're as healthy as they are--I'm just extremely lucky to have Dr Hughes stock it all as a courtesy to his clients at his cost.  Oxbow's normal shipping costs are astronomical, which are a disservice to the people who want to do right by their pigs, & can't afford the shipping or don't have access to a vet like I do.  I read on the GPDD 4years ago, when we first adopted Potter, that the colored crap is NG for pigs & was lucky enough to have a wonderful mentor tell me about Cavy Cuisine, so I knew better than to feed the junk to her.

As far as Debbie's campaign--maybe the best way to go is telling Petsmart & Pet Supermarket (Petco, etc..) that we won't buy the goodie-filled food & why--unfortunately this may leave some of us without pellets for our pigs in areas that only stock the junk-food.  Emailing Kaytee & Hartz may help, but it won't be immediate results if their food already contains junk.  It's all worth a try, tho--the food situation won't change without those of us who love pigs attempting to change it.  Check out www.kaytee.com/products  for their foods containing nuts & seeds; apparently Hartz Mountain doesn't carry small animal food.  Deb, Potter, Molly & Emma