[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE] Fostering to adopt new piggie

Michelle Lazarus michelle.lazarus at jefferson.edu
Mon Feb 20 09:17:16 EST 2006

Hi I have a few little updates to post.

1.	I am soooo excited . . .I contacted our local rescue about our
little pig mix-up (i.e. whitey turned out to be a boy instead of a
girl).  Well, please don't tell on us, but instead of putting him back
into that horrible situation at the SPCA, the rescue made room and he is
now in their capable hands and they have even found a buddy for him!  He
seems soooo happy!
2.	Well, we still wanted to adopt a third guinea pig, as we have
the room and we wanted to give our two girls more of the natural "herd
mentality".  Well, the rescue doesn't often have singles, however, they
had a young girl come the same week we dropped off whitey!  So she (now
named "ginger") didn't have a partner yet.  Well, she is under maternity
watch still, but they said that because they know I take good care of
our two ladys now, we could foster her while she is under maternity
watch and then, if it works out we can adopt her!  Well, she LOVES her
new home and she is getting along sooo well with my girls.  Ella, the
always shy and very much submissive guinea pig and Ginger follow each
other everywhere!  I even caught Ginger grooming her ear!  However, the
biggest surprise came when the VERY VERY dominant Kayla accepted Ginger
as well!  Kayla still likes to remind Ginger who is boss every once in a
while with a little nip, but I not only saw Ginger grooming Kayla's ear,
I saw KAYLA GROOMING GINGER!!!   I couldn't believe my eyes!  It is
truly amazing to see how the dynamic has changed having the three of
them instead of just the two.  They all seem more energetic and Ella,
who is always sickly, seems way more perkier now!  So, once maternity
watch is up, I think Ginger will remain a permanent addition to our
house (I mean pig) hold.
3.	Ella is still having continuous episodes of loose stools.  I
finally posted on guinea lynx . . .and they all suggest that this may be
parasites . . .but none of the other guinea's have any signs or symptoms
. . . However, this week, we will be giving our vet a stool sample to
analyze just to check.  I will keep you all posted.  She is my first
guinea pig and she has had such a hard life since coming home soooo ill
from the pet store.  She is a fighter though, and even through every
episode of loose stool, she keeps eating and drinking and cuddling.  She
has come a long way from the scared and shy guinea pig of 2 years ago!
And because of her and her original cagemate (who passed soon after we
got her) we have learned soooooo much about the wonderful world of
guinea pigs and we now have helped save guinea pigs by adopting!
4.	While on guinea lynx forums, I found these amazing cards that I
just wanted to share with everyone!  I am sure that you will all
appreciate them as much as I do!  As I read the thread that was attached
to the images, I learned that these are reprints of very old French
postcards that people used to send!  How amazing!  Here is the link to
view the cards:
http://www.hillstock.com/greetings/guinea-pig-note-cards.htm
5.	Just wanted to sum up with a shout out to everyone for always
being sooooo supportive and positive!  We have such an amazing group
here and I want to let you know how much me and my girls appreciate all
of you!

Sincerely,
Michelle, Ella, Kayla and hopefully, permanently, Ginger!