[Gpdd] Health: Rosie's surgery

Maren Fouts magbfouts at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 07:46:19 EST 2006

Hi all!

I just wanted to send an update on how Rosie is doing.  Her surgery was last
Thursday.
I would have sent word earlier, but I didn't want to until I felt confident
that she was out of the
woods (after what happened to Sam, I just couldn't do it).

She wasn't really eating well at first, but, in my opinion, that was due to
what the drugs did
to her.  I think her body told her brain she was hungry and before her brain
could tell her legs to
go get food she was asleep again.  So I was syringing food and water for
about 2 days.  She
gobbled it down!  So, I knew she was really hungry.  She would get excited
to see that syringe.

After the second day I stopped the supportive care as she was doing really
well on her own.
Fortunately, I have a job where I can work at home if I need to so I was
able to watch her all day
while I worked and keep track of her eating and drinking.

Yesterday was the first day she showed weight gain.  I've been weighing her
everyday.  She lost about
15 grams, which I attribute to not eating well on her own for 2 days.  Now
that she's gained it back I
feel confident that she's out of the woods.

Charlie and Rosie are still separated.  Her cyst was on her backside and I
don't want him mounting
her yet.  I do give them floor time together everyday.  I stand over them
like a hawk.  Charlie seems to
get the hint and doesn't try to mount her often.  He's a smart pig!

I can talk about the day we dropped her off now.  My husband took the day
off too.  He didn't have much
work to do and Rosie is "His little girl". So we both went.  I took care of
all the paperwork and such and he
sat with her until they came to take her to the back.  Well, once he had
that first foot out of the door he
started to cry.  He was so worried about her and he's only been through one
surgery for a pet.  I had to
drive home.  Poor guy.  So I was sending him regular reports on her
progress.  He even got up with me in
the middle of the night to feed Rosie.

He'd kill me if he knew I told anyone that!

Thanks for the well wishes.  They worked wonders!

Piggy Kisses,
Maren