[Gpdd] Announcement: I need to vent!!

EVE BLACKE shiksachick at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 22 11:33:21 EST 2006

Hi fellow cavylovers!

What do they teach vets in school about cavies?!  Why is it so hard for them
to listen to what the owner, who lives with the animal 24/7, is telling them
about their charge's symptoms?!  ARGH!!

Based upon a fellow Digester's comments to me in an email concerning
Paddington's symptoms and the worsening(!) of his sypmptoms after his
Nizoral bath.  I went back to my books and to the web and thought, C***!  He
probably DOES have mites!  So, I took him to a new vet, who is an exotics
vet, because I have serious issues with my old vet...but that's a story for
another day.  Her bedside manner was nice and she handled Paddington with
care, but she didn't listen to anything I told her about his sympoms.  She
explained nicely that you can't diagnose mites without a skin
scraping...much to my protest because I felt the symptoms were pretty clear.
  She thought it was ringoworm.  Ok, it looked NOTHING like ringworm from
pictures that I saw and the Nizoral should have eased his symptoms not
exacerbated them.  She insisted on the skin scrapings.  I began to cry as I
had to hold him and listen to his poor shrieks as she scraped away.  She
comes back with the announcement, I saw a lot of eggs but no mites.  Duh!
I'm not claiming to know more than the vet but I get the feeling like they
have some kind of need to come up with the diagnoses themselves or somehow
you're taking away from their degree.  Does anyone else know what I mean?
The carrier is probably Agnes and I could kick myself for not having taken
her to the vet when I first got her.  The contamination probably happened
when I noticed she didn't like a certain vegetable and so in order not to
waste it.....I gave it to Paddington.  That was about a couple of weeks ago.
  So, Agnes is off to the vet on Friday so that I can treat her and stop any
reinfection of my poor leaper!!

What a choice!  I have a vet with a nice bedside manner but doesn't listen
to me or I have a vet that is excellent in his knowledge but charges twice
as much and is curt with me and rough with my pets.

At least Paddy got his Ivermectin shot and I will hopefully get my shipment
of Ivomec by the time he needs his followup dose and I will administer it
orally (following the dilution and dosing charts off of the guinealynx
website).

Thanks for listening!  This site is so great for that!

Eve and the furry brood