[Gpdd] Health: Veterinary School

Guineapigfilms at aol.com Guineapigfilms at aol.com
Thu Feb 23 12:25:02 EST 2006

In a message dated 2/23/06 11:02:07 AM Central Standard Time, Eve writes:

> What do they teach vets in school about cavies?!  Why is it so hard for
> them
> to listen to what the owner, who lives with the animal 24/7, is telling them
>
> about their charge's symptoms?!  ARGH!!

Eve,

I can tell you what they teach vets in veterinary school, because our dogs'
vet showed us! When we complained about cursory treatment of our piggies (and
we since have switched to an exotics animal vet for the piggies, rats and
gerbils but still use the original vet for our cat and dogs) to our vet, he said,
"Let me show you something." He then proceeded to bring out of his office the
primary veterinary manual textbook that he learned from in veterinary school.
This book was SOOOO heavy that he could hardly carry it! Then he showed us the
thousands upon thousands of pages written about EACH breed of dog, and the
thousands more written about cats. Finally he showed us the PAGE AND A HALF about
guinea pigs!!!!! We love this vet, and he even sold copies of my movie CARROT
WARS in his office. But now we take our pigs somewhere else for their
treatment. Even then, there have been drastic mistakes made. For instance, once the
regular vet was on vacation, and a "subsitute" was there. We had to bring Waldo
in to see him, because we could clearly see that Waldo was gravely ill. Even
though we brought Waldo in FOUR TIMES in that one week insisting that he was
sick and wouldn't eat, the vet told us that he was "fine" and "just needs to
eat more hay." Well, Waldo died before the regular vet got back from her trip!
It is really a "hit-or-miss" situation with the piggies' help. You have to
search long and hard for a good vet. We have had to drive two hours sometimes just
to find a good "guinea pig-savvy" veterinarian."

Love and WHEEEEEEEEEPS,

Alyssa and the guinea pig movie stars
http://hometown.aol.com/guineapigfilms