[Gpdd] RESCUE: Dilemmas in rescue world

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 19:26:51 EST 2006

Hi everyone,

  I had a recent issue with Oxbow. The other morning I was doling out hay to everyone and reached into my 50lb box of Oxbow Timothy and what do I pull out in my hand? A mouse corpse! All dried up and stinky. In my hand! So what do I do? I call Oxbow! The woman was so horribly rude to me telling me "well it IS nature for mice to live in the fields." Well of course it is, but does anyone want to reach in their box of hay and pull out a carcass? So she says she will replace the box but because Jim sent this one to me (bless his big heart for the gifts he gives my rescue) she gives me even MORE grief like I was trying to pull a fast one on her and get something for nothing! She goes on and on about how he will have to contact them NOT me. Like I would have any idea. All I knew is I had a stinky dead animal contaminating my hay! A similar incident happened to me a while ago when I found bugs in a 50lb bag of Cavy Performance. The woman went on and on about how it must be the distributor's
 fault, blah, blah, blah and she would work it out with the pet store to get me a free bag. Yea, that never happened.

  Anyway, my other dilemma is about 4-H. So if there are any 4-Hers out there, please help me out. As a rescuer, I see a lot of bad, bad things and I get a lot of pigs when people are "tired" of them and have had that happen on several occasions from 4-H people. Now I am not trying to make generalizations, so just hear me out. From what I also understand about 4-H, breeding is acceptable and encouraged which is against everything I, as a rescuer, believe in because of the plethora of homeless animals around. So help me out... What is the purpose of 4-H? The small parts I have been exposed to have not been pretty and I know that is not everyone and I should not generalize which is why I am trying to get more information. I have turned a few 4-H people away recently, some intentional, some not. I don't want to make bad choices, I want to make informed choices, so please help me! What a lot of potential adopters don't understand is the amount of emotional investment I make into each one
 of my babies so to just hand them off to joe-nobody is not possible, you know?

  Anyway, thanks for your feedback!
  Lisa
  Wheeks and Squeaks GP Rescue