[Gpdd] Announcement: A few days after my vent!

EVE BLACKE shiksachick at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 24 12:51:56 EST 2006

Hi to all cavylovers and furry piggies!

Thanks so much for the emails and the response in the digest.  I can
understand to a degree why a vet would need to independently examine my pig
but I think I came across very articulately and I told her about guinealynx.
  When my old guys were 1 year old, I put straw in their cage and infested
them with mange mites....I took them to the office where the bad vet
practices (didn't know it yet) and he was on vacation and the non-exotics
vet looked at them and she was the BEST vet I ever had look at my piggies.
She suspected mange from their sypmtoms and sent me away with detailed
instructions on how to administer the ivermectin orally.  I've tried making
an appointment with her since but she won't see me because she doesn't
'specialize' in exotics and would be stepping on the bad vet's territory,
I'm sure.   This new vet wants me to come back with Paddy for his second
shot of ivermectin.  Why couldn't I be given a followup up dose to give him
myself?  My search for a vet continues....I'm in Southwestern Ontario so if
anyone can help me out with the name of someone good I'd appreciate it.
(PS.  No question that Paddy will get his followup dose on time if my supply
doesn't get here in time)

At the moment I'm frustrated because I want to cuddle my pigs and yet I'm
restraining myself so that I don't reinfect anyone.  So far, no one else is
showing symptoms but I know that someone is a carrier.  I don't believe any
of the others should have to be skinscraped to get treatment.  That is why I
am waiting for my Ivomec to arrive.  My ivermectin has shipped today from
the vet supply store so I am impatiently awaiting its arrival so that I can
treat everyone.  I was in the middle of building a huge coroplast cage so
that the three boys could live together and Agnes could get one of the
bigger cages and I could start thinking about bringing in a same-sex
companion for her.  The skin on my hands is red and chapped from all of the
handwashing I'm doing between handling everyone because I'm trying to avoid
reinfection.

I guess I'm still in vent mode.  I'm always learning something about caring
for these guys.

Thanks for listening, Eve and the furry brood