[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: Introducing Two Guine Pigs

Dukejan1 at aol.com Dukejan1 at aol.com
Mon Feb 27 09:23:53 EST 2006

Elly,

I got Lily after having Isabel for five months.  Lily immediately  became the
dominant of the two pigs and I know exactly what you mean about  chattering
and chasing the other out of the cage.  I've tried new cages but  to no avail.
They simply want their own spaces--but the cages have to be  next to each
other so that they can converse all day.  They have never  agreed to share a
cage, but come floor time (3-5 hours daily), one will wheek  constantly until this
slave gets the other one on the floor with her.   Then they play and sit
right next to each other.....Likewise, when one is picked  up, the other becomes
concerned.

It was particularly touching last December when Lily was sick and couldn't
play.  Isabel was obviously very agitated.

It may take some time and they may never want to be in the same cage (or as
we call it in our home, the same habitat).  But they are the best of  friends
and depend on one another.  Good luck in the introductions!

Janet, slave to Isabel and Lily