[Gpdd] HEALTH: Cinnamon Bear has abnormal bowel movements

Michael Tanaka mtanaka at hawaii.edu
Mon Feb 27 06:30:28 EST 2006

Hello everyone and everypig!  We have a male, that we've had for seven
months.  He was full grown when we found him in the pet store.  We're not
sure how old he is, but we guess around a year and a half or so.  Lately, he
seemed to have different bowel movements.  Now, he doesn't poop as much as
we'd like.  We can't measure his pee, but he does pee a fair amount.  He's
alert and active and eating as normally as he usually does.  He had seemed
to sleep a tad more than usual and he didn't poop as much.  They were also a
bit smaller and sometimes misshapen.  So we began to give him freshly picked
grass from our yard, a small bit of alfalfa, another piggie's poops, and
critical care 'balls' (critical care rolled into balls).  He fights and
fights the syringe and won't eat from a spoon.

At this point, we don't want to use any motility drugs as we don't see a
need for it just yet.

When we brought him home from the pet store, he was running around wildly in
the box.  When I opened the box and held up the flaps he came running out.
I had to catch him twice (while Michael drove) in the car.  He just wouldn't
calm down.  Once we brought him home, he again kept flying out of the box.
So I was in tears as I said, he's too wild we have to take him back.  But I
couldn't sleep that night and told Michael the next morning, if we, as
piggie people can't control him, what would a non-piggie person do?  So, of
course, we kept him.  It took some time, but after giving him a clear
plastic bottom home with creative cube 'walls' he's been happier.  And he's
also become one cuddly little guy!  In all honesty, I don't know if I could
have really given up on him, but I'm ashamed that I even thought of it.

He does not suffer from impaction (our K. C. had that so we know what that
is); he doesn't cry when he poos or pees; his pee is clear, no color.

We're wondering if somehow his system needs a 'boost' and how to give him
that boost.

A humorous note--I worry a lot and I sit next to Cinnamon Bear's pen and
constantly watch him.  Yesterday, he was yawning so much, I stated so out
loud whereupon Michael stared straight at me and said, I think he's tired
because 'someone' is always staring at him and picking him up whenever he
tries to lay down and sleep!  It was difficult, but yes, I finally 'let' him
sleep!!  LOL

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Wheeks,

Corrine and Michael and Cinnamon Bear (male) (and Mini, Peppermint, Blossom,
Baby Truffles -- all females)