[Gpdd] HEALTH: Bladder stones

Sarah Hudson sarahhudson77 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 16:30:03 EST 2006

  Well, I have had a harsh introduction to bladder stones in guinea pigs. I noticed this past weekend that my Milo was crying when urinating and that there was blood in his urine. Also to my surprise it seems as if he has lost a lot of weight all of a sudden. My heart sank when I noticed this because I was very of aware of what it could mean. He made a trip to the vet and x-rays confirm that he has 2 stones. A very large one in the bladder and a very small one is his ureter. The large stone is so big that when his bladder is empty it almost fills his entire bladder. The x-ray also showed that he has arthritis. This is not surprising as he is over 5 years old. So he is currently on Metacam and antibiotics. I am also feeding him critical care and syringing him water since he has pretty much stopped eating on his own. I could opt for surgery for the large stone, but I don't think that it is a viable option because of his age and delicate health. I would appreciate any advice and to hear
 what others are doing or have done for their pigs with stones.

  I currently has 6 piggies in my house and at one time was up to 12. Over the past few years I have lost half of my herd and now the remaining are all at least 5 years with the exception of the newest addition, Spooky. I just lost Lil' Spice (one of my females) right before Christmas. It was very sudden and I had no idea that there was anything wrong with her. I am very worried that this is just the beginning of a very sad year at my house. I have been a part of the digest since 1998, but most of you probably don't know me as I don't normally post. I got married last year so my name has also changed. This year you will probably hear a lot more from me.

  I will re-introduce myself and the furries in my family. I am Sarah, slave to Spicey, Patches, Pumpkin, Squeakers, Milo and Spooky. Non-pig furries include Murphy the dog, Brother and Sister Kitty, Chili the rat & Sid and Paco the fish.Those pigs that have crossed the Bridge include Alvin, Boomer, Elliot, Howie, Rocket, Lil Spice and not forgetting Ratticus & Emma the rats and the many hammies that I grew up with.
  I am sorry for the length of my post and appreciate any help in regards to bladder stones.

  Sarah