[Gpdd] Health: Updated on Dink - Paralysis

Libby Bradford bradfolg at cs.vt.edu
Fri Jan 6 09:05:15 EST 2006

Hello to you all.

It breaks my heart to hear about so many little ones that everyone's
lost lately.  My heart goes out to you.

I thought I would send a bit of good news to you all.  In December, I
wrote about Dink blowing a disc in his back and not being able to use
his legs.  We were treating him with pednisone and antibiotics, just in
case he would get an infection.  We were giving him lots of TLC,
critical care on the days when he didn't have much appetite, syringed
water when he couldn't seem to get to the bottle, and helping him with
guinea pig physical therapy (stretching and bending his legs; I told him
we were helping him ride an imaginary bicycle).

He went back to the vet yesterday, who was surprised at how far he's
come.  He now can use his back right leg, almost normally and even has
some use of his back left leg.  Although he does drag the back left leg
about every third or fourth step, he can pull it up under him and sit
upright.  He does look a bit like he's running on tippy-toes at times,
but boy, can he move.

I just wanted to thank everyone again for your support.  He's just a
reminder of how we shouldn't give up.  He may not be back to 100%, but
I'd say he's a good 75 - 80 % of what he used to be, mobility wise.
That's pretty darned good!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!  Snuggle your piggies!

Libby
Louis XIV, Tangie, Dink, Duck, Alf, Ozzie, Henry VIII, Pepe, Isabella,
Charlie, Kate, Leo and Edgar Allan Weirdo