[Gpdd] Health: Obstruction/Impaction

Cindy calliope at geeksnet.com
Fri Jan 6 09:31:34 EST 2006

Yuka, our hearts just broke when we read your posting about your friend
with the piggie who died on Christmas Day.  It definitely sounds like the
little guy had a major impaction problem that went unnoticed until it
resulted in his death <sniff>.  Yes, we would say that this was a
preventable death.

We agree with Stacy's advice (in GPDD 5) of good quality pellets and hay
and lots of exercise to help prevent impaction.  We'd suggest that anyone
who has a male piggie (especially an unneutered one) of two years or older
should monitor him for any problems.  For example, do his poops look
normal?  If he making any straining sounds when he poops?

We're not sure if impaction as such occurs in female piggies; however, they
certainly can become constipated.  Again, close monitoring of all piggies
is always a good idea, and may save a life.

Hope this helps.  Thanks for trying to help the little guy by suggesting a
better diet for him.

Sadly,
Cindy, Sunshine, Tumbleweed, and Friday