[Gpdd] (Health) Impaction

Rebecca Wilmot Rebecca.Wilmot at permabondeurope.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 10:31:11 EST 2006

Hi GP's
I haven't posted for absolutely ages. I saw the notes about impaction.
It is very upsetting. Poor Jimmy is getting impactions. Well, the first
I knew of it was finding a strange ball of droppings which smelled bad.
I thought that's really strange, he couldn't possibly have passed that,
it was enormous (about 3cm diameter ball). I read up about it and now
feel really guilty, he must have been in agony poor animal. I keep on
investigating his bottom every day and occasionally find a hard mass
which I press out. It stinks. He always seems grateful and a lot happier
afterwards - running about more and being a bit more energetic.  I
wonder how long poor Jimmy suffered before I realised. He frequently had
the 'half a sausage' syndrome when I picked him up.
I hope he will survive, he is only 3 yrs old...
On a more positive note, keep your eye out for ITV Meridian TV 'Vets and
their Pets' programme, Jimmy is in the opening title sequence (brown
guinea pig with mullet hair doo). It starts Tuesday 7.30pm.
Bye for now
Bec