[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCEMENT] I gave away Argentee today

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Mon Jan 9 16:06:19 EST 2006

When castrated Claude was allowed to join his harem, I introduced a new
super-big cage in addition to his old cage and all the other cages, so there was
a general free-for-all in the porch, with all the piggies deciding where they
really wanted to sleep at night (all were free range during the day).
Argentee  decided she wanted a cage of her own, although she had always lived with
other  piggies until then. Whenever another piggie went into the cage she had
claimed  she rattled her teeth and chased them out. So I took it as her choice
and let  her be a lone piggie, even though I have always been very much against
any caged  animal being kept in solitary confinement - that's how I got my
first ever  piggie, and then my first ever rabbit to keep it company .... .

This was back in the autumn, and she had lived alone ever since, though
within sight and smell of the others and with the option of joining them during
the day if she chose to, which she didn't. She wasn't losing any weight, was
eating normally, showed no sign of illness or distress. In fact, she seemed
very  calm and content.

Then a few days ago I got a phonecall from a French near neighbour - would  I
be willing to give one of my guinea pigs to a pair of elderly sisters, one
disabled, who had recently lost their own? I was horrified at the very idea,
but  found it difficult to explain to them why, as I knew they knew I had 18
guinea  pigs. I tried to think of excuses - would it be kept in the garden, did
they  know how to look after guinea pigs, would they really love it? But
everything I  thought would be a negative, they replied in the positive. So I ended
up saying  it was a possibility, then lying awake all night trying to decide
how I could  get out of it.

I lived in dread of them getting back to me, but also started wondering
whether maybe Argentee would not be better off being a doted-on sole piggie. I
was prevented from caring for my piggies for some time last summer by an illness
 which could return at any time, and even when I'm well, I have 18 piggies,
15  chickens, 5 cats, 5 geese, 3 goats and 2 dogs to care for. I cannot give
Argentee the individual attention she deserves. The others have one another for
 company and seem happy with that. But Argentee spent much time alone ....  .

So today my near neighbours took Argentee and me to her new home, about 3
miles away. She will be living in a cage in a centrally heated bedroom - we
don't have central heating, and it gets real cold here at night. There was a
whole apple awaiting her in the cage - here she got a slice now and then. And
the two very little old ladies seemed absolutely thrilled with her. They did
have a photo of their former guinea pig, Micha, and had taken it to a vet when
it became ill - both unusual for French people. I am sure they will love  her.

I am, nevertheless, worried sick. I showed them my weight chart, and they
agreed I could pop in from time to time to weigh her. I left some of the food
she usually has, and they knew to mix it in with the new food so as to make the
 change gradually. I listed the veggies she likes, and told them broccoli
gave  her gas. I forgot to ask them to give her lots of dandelions and fresh
grass,  but hopefully they will know that, and if not, I can remind them when I go
to  visit - and take some myself for her. I left my phone number and asked
them to  phone me if ever she seemed unwell or they had any concerns, and they
promised  they would.

I feel as though I have given one of my babies away - well yes, of course
that is what I have done. It was exactly three years ago today that I met her,
and saved her from that breeder that had her in minus 10 temperatures. I
already  rehomed her once, then she was returned to me when my other five were
murdered  by dogs. It was really hard being parted from her again - I only hope
she has  gone to a better life as a sole piggie. I will, of course, keep you
posted.

Condolences to all who had no choice in losing their piggies recently

Debbie (and her now-only-17 Dolly  Mixtures)