[Gpdd] HEALTH: Mites

Liz Parker maeve100 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 10 14:23:04 EST 2006

Hello out there -

Can any one help me with this issue?  I have been doing some recent volunteer work at the selter (bringing in veggies & refilling water bottles, etc.) and am now parinoid that my piggies have mites!  I have always been very very careful to wash myself well afterwards.  My black guinea pig has a few specks of "dandruff", but I can't tell on my white/brown girl.  I havn't knowticed any hair loss, but they do scratch themselves.  I don't know how much is normal and how much is bad.  Its just every once and a while, a few times a day.  They don't sit there persistantly scratching though.  Every once in a while they will chew on their feet.  Is this just normal behavior?  It has been pretty persistant, and I don't think it has ever been any less.

Thank you :-) Liz