[Gpdd] MISC- Bess the Brave & Anti-cavy co-workers (BOO!)

ghost1972 at sbcglobal.net ghost1972 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 12 13:16:31 EST 2006

    I was so impressed about Bess and her strength. In my experience with animals fire sends them into corners, cowering. It's the second most terrifying thing in their known world... the first being a running vaccum cleaner!
    I actually printed out the story and brought it to work. Everyone there picks on me about my guinea obsession. (They found out about the water bottles and the homemade Chirstmas treats!) I've actually had one of my co-workers say, "How can you be so ga-ga over such a dumb animal? It's not like you can even play with it." I tried to convince her that guineas have distinct personalities, are smart enough to manipulate extra treats out of you by sining pretty songs and giving nose kisses, and play the best game of chase I have ever seen.
    That lead to her comment of, "Ahh, you let those rodents run around loose?" *sigh* Some people just simply can't understand.
    But, I do have a wonderful announcement. My husband Michal, who is sweet about the guineas though not an active participant, has finally been broken down by potent guinea charms. Blacky, my older and more calm girl, has always been his favorite. She doesn't wheek a lot, she never runs from your reaching hand, and she is a cuddle queen! To picture her, think of a British nanny. She is almost completely black, all accept for a white tummy and a white strap around her neck (like an apron). She always holds her head high and actually "tut tuts" when Pooky is being troublesome. :)
    Well, I was feeling a bit under the weather this morning, so Michal fed everyone for me. When he opened the guinea cage, Backy stood at the door quietly and patiently as he took out the dish and washed it. When he put the dsh back, she crept up to his hand and nuzzled it, making her sweet little coos that could melt iceburgs! Michal was so enchanted by this, he gave her an extra treat and pet her for a few minutes. :)
    I knew she would break him down eventually. Score one for the little furry guys, big tough Irishman, nothing! Bwah-ha-ha! He's so done that he was actually talking to me about making them a pen for when we move to our new apartment. :)
    I just had to share that with you fellow slaves. If you have any resisiting spouses, trust me, breaking them down can be done! I hope all of you have a wonderful day.
                Much Love,
                        Amber, Pooky and the Irresistible Blacky