[Gpdd] [MISC] Introducing Felix

Laura Carin lcarin at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 14 18:48:57 EST 2006

Thanks to everyone who wrote in with their knowledge about cysts.  I'm
planning to keep an eye on Zephyr's leg cyst for the next week and then I
will probably get my vet to take a look at it just to see if it's getting
too big.

Today is a very happy and a bit of a nervewracking day for all of us (my
husband, myself and Zephyr) because we got a new piggie today to be Zeph's
friend.  We named him Felix and he's an American Tan gp.  He is black with
little tan spots around his eyes and nose and a completely tan tummy.  We've
already introduced him to Zephyr (both are just over a year old) and it
looks like they'll get along okay.  We have them in two separate enclosures
(we don't like the word cage!) right now but we are planning to scrub out
Zephyr's area (a 4x2 c&c) and use all new bedding and carefresh, and
rearrange everything so it seems like a new home to both of them.  We'll put
them in there together tonight after several times together and then apart
in a neutral zone throughout the day.  I don't think we'll leave them alone
together overnight.  I'm wondering when we can leave them together overnight
without having to worry too much about fighting when we're not there to pull
them apart.  Does anyone have any ideas?

The other thing that worries me a bit is that we were told Felix has a
genetic defect where his bum area is kind of popped out permanently and has
always been like that.  We were told it shouldn't be a health problem at all
and doesn't cause him any discomfort.  He was originally supposed to be a
breeding pig but because of this defect he was rejected.  Has anyone heard
of this before?  I'll try to get a photo so you can see what I'm talking
about.  Sorry for the long post!

I hope everyone and everypig is doing well,
Take care,
Laura, Zephyr & Felix