[Gpdd] (Care) Little hands handling GP

SCOTT KLING bugsmom33 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 14 21:15:09 EST 2006

I'm trying to get caught up with some of the newsletters and saw Amber's question about little hands and GPs. I'm new to the guinea pig world, and so is my 4 year old son, but this is how we have been working with him handling the piggies (Daphne and Santa). I have created a kind of "play pen" that is collapsible (out of cardboard boxes taped together) it opens to about a 6 foot circle. Then we put in tunnels, toys, food and hay for the piggies. Then I have my son sit inside the pen. He sits very still and talks quietly and as the girls are running around, popcorning, and exploring they wind up climbing all over him. Sometimes he holds the hay in his lap or hands and they will sit in his lap and eat. Its been working great, they are learning to trust him, and he is learning how to sit still and be calm around animals. He can also sit on the bed in his room and I will put a piggy in a loose towel in his arms. This way he feels the weight of the towel and wont hold on too tight and if
 the piggy gets nervous she can hide deeper in the towel. Also, because he is sitting on the bed or floor at all times (with me hovering) the piggy wont take a fall and get hurt. This method has been working for us so far - but like I said we're new and have only been doing this since Christmas.

  I do have a question for the experts myself - One of our girls has been making an interesting sound during their play and chase and I'm not sure if it is considered purring or singing. The sound is very similar to the sound the sound that Gizmo made when he was "singing" in the movie Gremlins. Its like a humming purr. Its plain that the sound is made when she is happy, and I'm still not sure which one is making it or if they both are, but I was just wondering what this is technically called.

  Thanks!

  Juls