[Gpdd] HEALTH - cebacious cists

Andrew a1.mills at portset.net
Sun Jan 15 05:58:05 EST 2006

Hello, I have had a couple of guinea pigs with cebacious cists in the past and they have never caused any problems.  They usually seem to burst when they get to a certain size.  Some greasy goo comes out and then they usually go away.  Sometimes they will leave a small wound depending on their size but I have found these heal quickly.  I think longer/curly haired guinea pigs may be more prone to them than smooth haired ones.  I can definitely remember two instances with mine, one was an abby and one was a texel.  I also once had a degu with a cebacious cist.  When I first noticed it, I thought it was a tumour and started feeling around it to find out what it was.  It suddenly popped and the same grease came out.  I knew it wasn't an abscess because there was no smell.  Again, the wound healed quickly and the cist never recurred.  I think providing they are not bothering the animal at all, they are best left alone.