[Gpdd] [Health] Neutering Boars

JG jessterwm at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 15 15:51:02 EST 2006

 Greetings,

  My name is Jessica, I have posted a couple times, but not in a while, I  read the digest religiously.  I find I need some more specific  information myself.

  I have 4 girl pigs and two boys.  The boys are not neutered, but I  want to get them neutered (don't tell them though, they don't know yet.)

  I have a vet in town that I took my pigs to once when they had  mites.  He seemed very capable and pretty knowledgeable about  guinea pigs.  I don't know, however, if he does surgery on them,  or how experienced he is.

  I know I need to call and ask questions (or I might go to the office  and ask) but I'm wondering what are the really critical  questions/information I need.

  I don't want to take my boys to an inexperienced vet, and I've been  avoiding having this done because I don't want to lose them.  But  I am moving in a month or so, and it would be better if I could house  the boys with the girls--which I've been wanting to do anyway (I figure  they'll split up into two harems each boy with hopefully two girls).

  I know guinea pigs can only take certain antibiotics, so I need to ask  abou that.  And I read in one digest that they should receive gas  and not an injection for the sedation.  Is that true?

  How long does it usually take them to recover from the surgery?  I  know I'll need to keep them clean and what have you, are there other  special arrangements I should make for housing or bedding?  I bed  them on carefresh.

  How risky is the procedure?  I know some of you have had your  boars neutered...so I was hoping I could get some advice and/or  reassurance or warning.

  Also, I know there are a couple people who read the digest who are from  Texas.  I live in Austin right now, and I was going to take my  boys to the Westgate Pet and Bird hospital, if anyone has a vet in the  Austin area that they have used for gp neutering before that they would  recommend I would be interested in knowing.

  Thank you!

  Sorry the post is so long.

  You can email me directly at jessterwm at gmail.com instead of re-posting on the digest if that is better.

  ~Jessica
  Guinevere, Madeline, Coco, Rosie, Elvis and Harley.