[Gpdd] HEALTH - neutering boars

Andrew a1.mills at portset.net
Mon Jan 16 14:28:18 EST 2006

Hello, regarding the question on neutering.  I have to say I have never had a guinea pig neutered and never would.  I have read too many horror stories about guinea pigs not surviving the operation.  Don't get me wrong, I understand why some people do elect to have it done, but I personally would advise against it due to its risks.  It is much better for a guinea pig to live alone in my opinion than to put him through a surgery and then lose him.  From what I've read, guinea pigs are very poor at tolerating anaesthetics and I would only put one through an operation if it was a life or death situation.  Neutering is not a life or death situation in most instances and I would therefore not do it.  It's just far too risky.