[Gpdd] Health, neutering

Ruth Leibowitz dr.leibq at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:11:20 EST 2006

Well, it seems like from previous replies mine will not be popular, but I
did decide to neuter my male g.p. Babu Franklin about a year ago.  I adopted
him as a young adult, and wanted him to have companionship.  At that time, I
understood that as an adult male he was more likely to get along easily with
a female he hadn't grown up with than another male he didn't know.  Also, I
knew that I didn't want baby piggies and that the neutering surgery was less
serious for a male than a female pig -- so Babu Franklin got his surgery.
He did have some difficulty with the anesthesia during the surgery and/but
recovered rapidly and well and was happily munching away before I knew it,
though it took more than a day for him to be completely back to his regular
self.  He now has a wonderful life with his friend Nani, which he would not
have had without being neutered -- they loved each other from day one and I
am glad they can live with one another and enjoy their sniffs, cuddles, and
popcorning adventures. I think that close contact with another piggy is so
important for our social little friends. Of course, if Babu hadn't survived
the surgery, I wouldn't be describing the experience in a positive way. I
did choose a vet who was known for his work with exotics, and my piggy,
though adult, was young (less than a year old) and healthy, so these factors
probably increased chances for success.  I think if I were to do it over
again, I would probably have made the same choice -- although I would not
have done so if my piggy had been much older, or if I could not find a vet
who was very experienced with cavies.

Ruth in Portland