[Gpdd] [Misc] Nigel is not Nigel and piggy playthings

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Thu Jan 19 19:12:35 EST 2006

Theresa

Now that Nigel is known not to be Nigel, how about "Nigella"?  There's
Nigella Lawson, food writer and Domestic Goddess, and the plant nigella
(also called "live-in-the-mist") has a pretty flower.  Beauty and an
interest in food make a good combination for a guinea pig!

Poor Mickey must think things are looking down after they had been looking
very promising for a while...

What I gave to my piggies when they were babies was sawn-off bits (about
6 or 7 inches long) from the roll that was inside a carpet (like a giant
toilet roll).  They loved playing with that, running inside and out, and
also - don't ask me *how* - but somehow they would get the tube standing
on its end!  Each would stand admiring what she/he had done, and then a
quick nudge with the nose and down it went again, with a knowing look in
the eye "I can't tell you, you're not a pig!".

Cardboard boxes with holes made in the sides (making sure they are large
enough for a piggy to get through comfortably!) and solid enough but not
too high to jump on top also seem popular toys.  The only problem with
cardboard and things like toilet roll inner tubes is not knowing what
glue has been used.

My own piggies are much in favour of cocoons, little ventilated personal
bedrooms, which they can move about the inside of their cabins while they
are still inside them...they look like little blue tortoises sometimes
with their heads poking out of the cocoons!

Kay