[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Sneezing Pigs

Jessica Schmidt jess_schmidt at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 21 16:01:02 EST 2006

Hello GPDD members,

  I have been a reader of the digests for several months now, and I have a question about my pigs.

  Over the past 3 days or so, they have been sneezing more frequently than usual.  I was concerned, so I took two of the four of them to the vet, and the vet said their lungs sounded clear.  He said he would give me an antibiotic, but was concerned it would be bad on their system if they weren't sick.  He said if they kept it up, and especially if it got worse, to call and he would get an antibiotic prescription.

  I haven't changed anything, same brand of hay, some brand of bedding, food, veggies, etc.  Does anyone have advice on what I should do or what could be the cause?  It's primarily the two I took to the vet who have been sneezing the most, but I've caught one of the others sneezing as well.  Should I go ahead and get the antibiotic from the vet?  I don't want to danger them if there isn't anything wrong, but I don't want to danger them by not giving them anything if they are really sick.  How do you find out about allergies?

  Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me, I've not had to deal with this since becoming a slave.

  Jessica