[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Cysts...and brave Bess

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Sun Jan 22 09:57:32 EST 2006

There has been some recent discussion on the digest about cysts.  I didn't
want to mention this before until I had the results.  The day after Brave
Bess the smoke alarm episode, I had to take Bess in for an operation to
have a cyst removed.  The operation was a success, the cyst was completely
removed and sent off for analysis.  The results have now come back, and it
was a dermoid cyst and completely benign.  Apparently in humans dermoid
cysts can be linked to the ovaries, but this is not the case in piggies
(Bess had to be spayed last year because of trouble with her ovaries).
The cyst is not likely to return.  It had irritated her because of the
tension on her skin.

A couple of days after the procedure, Bess had her post-op check, and all
was well...until later that day when she had one of stitches out!  Back to
the vet again on the Saturday morning.  The surgery was healing well, so
it wasn't necessary to have another stitch put in.  On Friday I took Bess
in to have the stitches checked; they needed to be sure that they were
ready to be removed.  Bess had healed well, and the stitches were gently
and carefully taken out by her vet.  She was sooooo good, not a squeak or
anything!  Later that day I had to go to the dentist for some root canal
work, so I was determined to try to be as brave as Bess, and I think I
came close although I'm not that keen on injections myself!

Kay