[Gpdd] Care: Re: New Piggies at the Rescue

EVE BLACKE shiksachick at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 23 15:00:47 EST 2006

Oh my gosh Lisa,

How horrible for those little guys!  They are so lucky you made that call!
Hamster food and bird food...I don't understand some people and their lack
of concern over the proper care of an animal.   Is it so hard to pick up a
book or even surf the web to gather even a smidgeon of info on guinea pigs?
Ugh, it's hard to comprehend some people's lack of concern!  I had to
actually buy alfalfa pellets with Paddington because he didn't know what to
do with the hay at first.  Once he figured it out after a few days I took
the pellets away.  He would look at the veggies every morning and evening
and there'd be this kind of 'I get to eat these?' look before he tore into
them like a maniac.  It was music to my ears when he finally started his
demanding morning 'wheeks' for his food.   We live in such an impatient
society.  People want everything NOW!  No waiting and minimal effort!  A
guinea's trust has to be earned and we all know that takes patience, time
and effort.  If someone hasn't even taken the time to read a thin book or a
few web pages on a guinea's needs, the end result is being neglected, dumped
at a shelter or in the backyard or pawned off on the first person they can
find.  I constantly have people telling me their misconceptions about
piggers.  One co-worker said her friend's guinea pig smelled like poop and
urine.  Does she clean the cage?  Oh, every month or so.  I said if I locked
you in your bedroom for a month you'd smell like poop and urine, too.   Oh,
I never thought about it like that.  Hello?  Common sense?  Sorry, now I'm
venting my frustrations!

If cavy lovers ruled the world, it would be a much nicer place!

Eve and the 4 legged Paddington the leaper, Hamlet and Ophelia the seniors,
and AGNES!! my snuggly new girlie girl