[Gpdd] [HEALTH] How much water should my guinea pig be drinkingeach day?

Michelle Lazarus michelle.lazarus at jefferson.edu
Fri Jan 27 09:27:06 EST 2006

Dear Joy,

This is not a letter to worry you, all I can share with you is my own
experience and signs to watch out for.  My Sydney started taking in tons
of water all of a sudden too.  It turned out she had congestive heart
failure, and she was dehydrated because all of her fluids were going to
her lungs and heart.  I had no idea until she was having severe trouble
breathing.

I would just look for signs of distress and weigh her regularly to see
that her weight remains steady . . . because Cavies are well  known for
their ability to hide illness until it is too late.  Sydney passed away
in 2 days after having trouble breathing. . . who knows what would have
happened had I gotten her treatment earlier.  Also, the digesters should
be able to help out a lot!

Really, I don't want you to worry, just to be aware :)

Good luck and keep us posted!-
Michelle