[Gpdd] MISC-Bedding/Litter

Folly Farm lfolly at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 1 17:17:01 EDT 2006

Hi,

I was reading about what everyone uses for bedding/litter.  I spot clean daily, and vacuum and scrub down the whole cage with diluted vinegar twice a week.  Carefresh can get expensive (we have a 25 square foot cage), so I bought a 'diamond cut' paper shredder.  Originally we had bought the 'strip' type shredder, but the guinea pigs got tangled , so we returned it and switched to the diamond cut (which are like little teardrops), and use that in place of carefresh.  I collect all of my mom and sister's newspapers and brown paper bags for the week to shred.  I put down several layers of newspaper, then a thick layer of 'shred', on top of it.  My to piggies seem to love fresh shred and popcorn all over when I put them back in the cage.  Just be careful not to use the glossy color pages in the newspaper as I read that the dyes can be toxic.

Lisa Stanley ( - :
&her herd: Brody, Keely, Shayla, Genevieve & Bronwyn