[Gpdd] Health--Medicam

DEB GANLEY debg43 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 1 23:48:55 EDT 2006

I didn't read all the previous posts about Medicam so I have no idea what happened with Lisa.  I just want to pass along my experience with it when Emma had surgery on 6/26.  She had a huge abdominal tumor, Dr Hughes thought it was breast cancer due to the tumor's location so she was scheduled for the tumor to be removed & sent to the lab,  & spaying.  As it turned out, it was a fatty tumor (Emma had surgery for a previous lipoma last Oct--we also have Potter who's a lumpy-bumpy pig also & has had 2 surgeries for them so we have lots of experience here) so Emma wasn't spayed.  Dr H. thought she'd be uncomfortable from the surgery since the tumor was so large (like an inch 1/2 around) & the incision was so extensive so he gave me Medicam to give to her the next AM.   She ate pretty well the night of the surgery so I wasn't too concerned.  We've been there, done that.  I gave her the 2 drops the next AM so she wouldn't be hurting--OMG, the poor little girl was stoned!  Couldn't drink or eat anything, unless I syringed Critical Care & water into her--I finally ran her to the vet at 4pm, he said her incision & abdomen looked good but to take her off the Medicam.  Within the next few hours, she was fine, once that wore off--eating & drinking just fine on her own.  Emma is a delicate pig to begin with--small & congenitally blind, but I was a wreck about her being so unresponsive.  I certainly didn't want her to be in pain after extensive surgery, but I know I'd think twice about putting her, or any of my girls,  on Medicam again.  I'm sure other slaves have had a good experience with it--like people, everyone reacts differently to meds--& I don't know what the controversy about it being tested is about--just my experience with the drug.  Emma's stitches come out on Monday--yeah!!!   Deb, Potter, Molly & Emma